special spring fling
dinner for two
Due to the popularity of our valentine's day for one, we asked our culinary consultant, Lyn Dacanay, to craft a dinner for two that would feature the best of spring's early harvest.
Fresh cut tulips and daffodils from the garden. Candles. Funky Serge Gainsbourg on the turntable.
Grilled salmon steaks
Mesclun salad with olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing
Strawberries with cream
* Buy two salmon steaks from the fish monger.
* Marinate for 2 hours with the juice of 1 lemon, 2-3 tsp fresh chopped dill, and ground black pepper.
* Grill for 10-15 min on each side, or until pink in color.
* Season with salt and more ground black pepper.
* Marinate for an hour in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and freshly ground black pepper.
* Grill for about 7 minutes.
* Serve at room temperature.
A late dinner with colleagues—carne asada from Guadalajara Tacqueria in good ol' San Leandro. It's nearly 11 P.M., and I am nowhere close to leaving the office. The recent "re-allocation of services"—taking half my department and putting them in another department—has taken its toll on me. It's week one of this change, and so far I'm not enjoying these 15-16 hour work days, plus
weekends.... But this is the meal I would have had if my boyfriend lived in this country and we could enjoy a spring fling dinner together and I actually left the office in time.
return to top of page